COMO Uma Paro
COMO Uma Paro, is an intimate, 29-room resort featuring the most exclusive private villas in Bhutan with an enviable location in the Paro Valley. This puts you within striking distance of the country’s great cultural landmarks. The style combines local artisanship with COMO’s contemporary style, while activities range from yoga to Himalayan camping adventures. Our Bukhari restaurant is a royal favourite.
Bukhari is our award winning restaurant at COMO Uma Paro—named for the traditional Bhutanese fireplace that forms a dramatic centrepiece to its circular, pavilion-style design.
Lunch dishes tend more towards international comfort food, while dinner is gastronomic—a rare fine-dining treat in the Paro Valley. Menus are based on seasonal, local produce sourced by Executive Chef Arsa Made , who delivers both Bhutanese and international dishes with strong flavours and serious finesse.
WELLNESS AND SPA BY COMO SHAMBHALA
Discover the calming spirit of our Bhutan spa resort at COMO Shambhala Retreat where we offer a full range of holistic, Asian-inspired treatments including Ayurveda. Treatments are also available to those staying elsewhere in the Paro Valley.
We have two private Bhutanese hot stone bathhouses, a large indoor pool with alfresco sundeck, steam rooms for men and women, a gym and yoga studio with Paro Valley views. Each of our nine villas even has its own private therapy suite
Immerse yourself in Bhutan’s cultural heritage and extraordinary landscape with our ‘Himalayan Discovery’ package, which focuses on Paro Valley. Based at COMO Uma Paro, which is close to the international airport, you will see the country’s main cultural highlights, including the remarkable Taktsang ‘Tiger’s Nest’ Monastery. There is guided hiking and a chance to get into the wilds while moving at a pace that allows for acclimation.
Our ‘Himalayan Discovery’ package consists of three, five and seven night itineraries.
Accommodation of COMO Uma Paro
The nine private villas and 20 luxury rooms combine the colourful accents of traditional Bhutanese craftsmanship with the clean-lined contemporary design for which COMO Hotels and Resorts are known. The result is a luxury resort with a fresh, original look that feels sleek even as it recognises COMO Uma Paro’s cultural context.
FOREST VIEW ROOMS
25sq m / 269sq ft Floor plan
At our Paro luxury hotel, each double room overlooks the pine forests surrounding the resort, while traditional hand-painted Bhutanese designs decorate the walls.
VALLEY VIEW ROOMS
32sq m / 344sq ft Floor plan
Among Bhutan luxury hotels, few have Paro Valley views like this. Larger than our Forest View Rooms, these deluxe accommodations also have a bathtub and separate shower stall.
95sq m / 1023sq ft Floor plan
The sophisticated, residential feel of the COMO Suites is the reason why they are so popular with those on a Bhutan honeymoon. Views from the king-size bed open up to 180-degree spreads of the Paro Valley.
92sq m / 990sq ft Floor plan
These oversized freestanding villas stand out because of the large living area replete with Bhutanese Bukhari woodburning stove, a kitchen with a staff entrance, and a private room for spa treatments.
300sq m / 3229sq ft Floor plan
The stately COMO Villa is our two-bedroom headline suite. A large living area opens up to panoramic views of the Paro Valley, while an alfresco hot stone bathtub and an open-air courtyard with fire pit tempt you to cosy up outside.
EVENTS AND MEETING SPACES
Our team at COMO Uma Paro bring a uniquely personal approach to event planning in Bhutan, both for weddings and all manner of other celebrations, including birthdays, honeymoons and corporate gatherings.
A special place where memories are created and friends and family brought together, Uma Paro provides this highly customised level of service combined with gourmet culinary offerings—all in the most secluded of Himalayan valleys.
We can coordinate a special anniversary picnic on a wild peak overlooking Taktsang ‘Tiger’s Nest’ Monastery, or special temple blessings for newlyweds. With good notice, exclusive use of the resort is available for anything from weddings to corporate team-building events.
WEDDINGS AND CELEBRATIONS
COMO Uma Paro’s Himalayan location make it a unique place to celebrate special occasions and weddings in Bhutan. Our dedicated team tailors all events, guiding you through the planning details to ensure everything runs smoothly.
COMO Uma Paro, is an unusual, memorable location for corporate events, our Bhutan meeting venues offering the perfect opportunities for employee retreats, team-building events and very private meetings where no-one would expect to find you. With seamless service and menus customised to the occasion, we ensure you can get on with the task in hand.
FULL RESORT RENTAL
COMO Uma Paro has become a popular venue for private Bhutan events, with a full resort rental ensuring an intimate occasion when all your guests are given the run of our 38-acre hilltop site. Security afforded by this secluded postion is also appealing to those who take over the entire resort for a significant celebration.
Advance notice is required to avoid disappointment. Rates are discussed on a bespoke basis depending on the level of event organisation required.
Each unique Bhutan meeting space and special occasion venue at Uma Paro boasts its own charms. All seven locations match personalised service and gourmet cuisine with timeless yet contemporary style, all amid the seclusion of the dramatic Himalayas.
Readily able to adapt any of these venues to meet guests’ specific tastes and requirements, Uma Paro offers spaces of intimate scale for memorable events, celebrations and meetings. We can accommodate gatherings of all varieties: birthdays and anniversaries, civil partnership celebrations and weddings, conferences and business retreats.
GETTING TO COMO UMA PARO
Druk Air connects Bhutan with Bangkok, Kolkata, Delhi, Kathmandu and Singapore, with additional routes provided by Bhutan Airlines between Bhutan, Kolkata and Bangkok.
The airport at Paro is a 10-minute drive from Uma Paro and around five hours by car from Uma Punakha. Transport between Uma lodges is made by car and is arranged for guests by Uma staff. It is not possible to hire cars for private use in Bhutan. To get to COMO Uma Punakha would be a five-hour drive north from COMO Uma Paro.
Whether travelling with a spouse, partner, children or extended family, our sophisticated facilities are available to anyone with an overnight stay—and promise to immerse you in the local culture.
- COMO Shambhala Retreat
- Four treatment rooms
- Two private Bhutanese hot stone bath house treatment rooms (90 sq metres)
- Gym (67sq metres)
- Indoor pool (46sq metres) with outdoor sundeck
- Yoga Weeks led by world-renowned teachers
- Archery field
- Business Centre with library and Internet service
- Meeting room for 12 people with dedicated staff
- Gift shop
- Restaurant bar and lounge
- Private event spaces
- Organic vegetable garden
- The expert staff at COMO Uma Paro ensure that our services surpass every expectation of Bhutan luxury hotels.
- Fully licensed as a travel agency and ground handler in Bhutan
- Comprehensive travel and tour assistance including treks and guides
- Complimentary scheduled group Yoga classes (except Sundays)
- Concierge and private butler services
- Foreign exchange
- Multilingual hotel staff
- Internet service at library
- Laundry and pressing services
- Maid service and evening turndown
- Private cars and drivers
COMO Uma Paro is an intimate, rural hotel in Bhutan, a landlocked Himalayan Kingdom where religion and nature have come together in a compelling Buddhist culture. This has given rise to names for Bhutan such as ‘hidden treasure’ or ‘the last Shangri-La’. A stay at COMO Uma Paro is about discovering the essence of Bhutan—its culture, religion and landscape. Designed to give unparalleled access to the country while simplifying logistics, we offer guides and guided adventures to allow guests to explore Bhutan by foot, bike, helicopter or 4WD.
Nearby attractions from COMO Uma Paro
- Tiger’s Nest Monastery: This is the most endearing image of Bhutan. Legend has it that this cliffside fortress was where Guru Rinpoche landed on the back of a flying tigress, bringing Buddhism to Bhutan.
- Ta Dzong: Bhutan’s national museum, built as a watch tower and now home to a number of fascinating religious artifacts
- Kyichu Lhakhang: One of the oldest temples in Bhutan with its magical orange tree that bears fruit all year round
- Chele La Pass: At 3,988m is the highest road pass in Bhutan. On a clear day, the view sweeps away to the snow-dome of Bhutan’s second highest peak, Mt. Jhomolhari (7,314m)
- Thimphu: The capital is Bhutan’s centre of government, religion and commerce. Some of the major attractions include the Buddha Dordenma statue, the National Memorial Chorten, a view of Trashi Chhoe Dzong and the Folk Heritage Museum
Activities through COMO Uma Paro
- Mountain biking: Tours range from gentle downhill runs to more challenging routes
- Archery: Learn the technique of Bhutan’s national sport on COMO Uma Paro’s archery range.
- Himalayan Discovery (3, 5 or 7 nights): Cultural itinerary with an option to spend a night at the remote Bumdra Camp high in the Himalayas
- Himalayan Explorer (5, 6, 7 or 9 nights): Combines stays at two Bhutanese lodges to experience the ethereal Kingdom of Bhutan
- Jhomolhari Trek (10 nights): Our longest trekking package includes – reflexology, Ayurveda, massage and facials
- Bhutan Through a Lens (7 nights): Our photography package includes five nights at COMO Uma Paro and two nights at COMO Uma Punakha
- Scenic Heli-Adventure (6 nights): Two privately guided helicopter flights with four nights at COMO Uma Paro and two nights at COMO Uma Punakha.
- Druk Path Trek (10 nights): Our trekking package includes four nights at COMO Uma Paro, three nights camping and three nights at COMO Uma Punakha